Florida Police have released some tips to prevent vehicle-related crime, which they say is currently a “serious challenge”.
• Never leave your vehicle unlocked, even if you think you will be away only for a minute.
• Always keep the doors locked and windows closed.
• A gear lock is an affordable and very effective anti-theft device.
• Try to fit an alarm and/ or anti-theft device in your car.
• It is very helpful to fit your car with a tracker as it sometimes helps to recover it quicker.
• Do not leave your keys in the ignition.
• Avoid displaying valuable items such as laptops, handbags or luggage; rather put them in the boot.
• Remove detachable radios and the radio’s face when getting out of the car.
• If strangers loiter near or at your driveway, rather drive past while observing the situation.
• Parking lots with a parking attendant or supervision/ someone patrolling are best, otherwise try to park in areas that are well lit and/ or well populated, but not crowded.
• If in doubt about the safety of an area, phone a police station for advice.
Do you perhaps have more information pertaining to this story? Email us at [email protected] (remember to include your contact details) or phone us on 011 955 1130.
For free daily local news on the West Rand, also visit our sister newspaper websites