Hospital guards target of protest

DA councillor Gert Niemand and DA Shadow MEC for Health Jack Bloom at a recent oversight visit at Discovery Clinic. (Photo: Stock)

Guards were pushed out of several Gauteng hospitals on Tuesday (1 August) by protesters angry at the extension of irregular security contracts that were meant to expire in September last year.

The West Rand Security Forum (WRSF) has vowed to continue the action today against security guards at clinics and hospitals on the West Rand, including the Leratong, Yusuf Dadoo, Sterkfontein and Carletonville hospitals.

They are outraged that security contracts for Gauteng hospitals that cost more than R500 million a year have been extended “until further notice”, despite a forensic audit finding that they were irregularly awarded.

Read more: Photos: Another building burnt by ‘protesters’

“I sympathise with their frustration as it is inexplicable that these contracts are extended when a tender process has already taken place to identify new companies to guard the hospitals and clinics,” said Jack Bloom, DA Gauteng Shadow Health MEC.

“According to a written reply by Gauteng Health MEC Gwen Ramokgopa to my questions in the Gauteng Legislature, the contracts were awarded on 1 October 2014 and were supposed to end on 31 September 2016.

“The contracts cover 34 hospitals and 188 clinics, and cost R525 million from October 2015 to September 2016.

“I am concerned that 16 security companies that should not have qualified to get contacts are still guarding hospitals and clinics ten months after the original two-year contract has expired,” said Bloom.

“Is this because they are funnelling money to the ANC? The Department’s security costs have more than doubled in the last four years and I suspect we are getting poor value for money,” he said.

The WRSF said that protest action will extend to other regions in Gauteng as well.

“Gauteng Health MEC Gwen Ramokgopa should expedite the new security contracts rather than extending the irregular over-priced contracts,” he concluded.

Do you perhaps have more information pertaining to this story? Email us at roodepoortrecord@caxton.co.za (remember to include your contact details) or phone us on 011 955 1130.

For free daily local news on the West Rand, also visit our sister newspaper websites 

Randfontein Herald

Krugersdorp News 

Get It Joburg West Magazine

Remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages to let your voice be heard!

  AUTHOR
Riaan van Zyl
Journalist

find your
dream home

looking for an
affordable
apartment

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Photos: Housebreakers caught after high-speed chase and accident

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Krugersdorp News
Randfontein Herald
Roodepoort Record


Your details:


Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)
Other